Nigerian banks including United Bank of Africa (UBA), Access, and others have issued a notice to embark on a two-day nationwide strike.
The banks said financial services would be withdrawn on September 5 and 6, 2023.
The National Union of Banks, Insurance and Financial Institution Employees gave the directive in a memo dated September 2, 2023, signed by the union’s General Secretary, Mohammed I. Sheikh.
The memo noted that the directive complied with the strike notice issued by the Nigeria Labour Congress on August 31.
NUBIFIE also accused the federal government of meddling in the affairs of trade unions rather than focusing on fixing the economy.
he notice read; “In line with the communique issued after the meeting of the National Executive Council (NEC) of the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) held on Thursday, August 31 2023, all affiliates should direct all its members to commence two days’ withdrawal of services from Tuesday & Wednesday the 5th & 6th September 2023.
“The directives is imperative to get the needed attention of government and warn it of its newfound love of meddling in the internal affairs of unions rather than address the punishing economic circumstances in which we find ourselves.
“We hereby direct all our organs to comply with this directive by ensuring all our members stay off duty for two days. Your cooperation in this regard will be appreciated.”
Meanwhile, the Federal Government under President Bola Ahmed Tinubu in an effort to avert the Nigeria Labour Congress’ warning strike scheduled for Tuesday and Wednesday, has shown interest in resuming talks with the organised labours.
The Minister of Information and National Orientation, Mohammed Idris, made this known in an interview with PUNCH on Saturday, September 2, 2023.
According to him, the government would meet with leaders of the union to avert the looming strike.
He said; “Definitely, we are hoping the warning strike can be averted. They are still engaged in discussions and have started to understand each other’s position more. They will meet again on Monday, but the gaps are being closed.
“You know the new minister just came in and has just begun to engage with the NLC. Going forward, you will see more expeditious engagement with the labour union. So far, tension has reduced but work is still in progress. By Monday, they will meet again and hopefully find an amicable resolution on the issue.”
On what the Federal Government plans to do concerning the 21-day strike scheduled to commence later in the month if the parties fail to reach an agreement, the minister expressed conviction that the matter would be resolved before then.
He stated, “This is why I said we are trying to find a common ground to avert the impending strike. Once this is achieved, the other one would have been taken care of.”
Dear Readers, Good and credible news reportage is tedious task and requires huge finances.
We are soliciting your Noble support for as low as N1,000 your support would go a long way in assisting us to continue to guarantee our readers quality news.
Bank transfers can be made to:
Account Name: Harvest and Commercial
Bank: Sterling Bank
Account Number: 0078627735